Welcome, fellow adventurers! We will now embark on a journey to discover the fascinating world of GPS tracking devices. In this digital age, we’ve witnessed a significant shift in how these devices are utilized, revolutionizing navigation and our perception of our surroundings.
Gone are the days when GPS trackers were solely used by explorers and professionals in specific industries. Today, they have become an integral part of our everyday lives, offering an array of functionalities that cater to diverse needs and interests. Whether you’re concerned about the safety of your loved ones, want to keep a close eye on your valuable assets, or simply seek convenience in finding your way, GPS tracking devices have become the go-to solution.
In this blog series, we will dive deep into the various types of GPS tracking devices that have emerged with this paradigm shift.
We will explore their unique features, discuss applications of GPS tracking, and guide you toward choosing the perfect device that suits your requirements.
So, fasten your seatbelts, and get ready to explore the evolving landscape of GPS tracking devices. From compact wearables to advanced car trackers, we’ll be your compass in this captivating world of technology and uncover the endless possibilities that lie ahead!
What are the Different Types of GPS Tracking Devices?
GPS is a satellite-based navigation system with precise location and time information anywhere on the planet. This solution powers numerous devices to make our lives easier. But have you ever wondered how a GPS tracking works?
Well, a GPS tracker functions by obtaining the most recent location fix. A GPS tracker can hunt for cell tower signals to approximate the location even if GPS satellite signals are blocked. It employs triangulation to determine the separation between cell phones and other nearby towers to let the tracker determine the approximate location.
However, the device will broadcast the current location to the server using the global GSM cellular network or similar radio signals rather than simply displaying it on the screen. All GPS data being tracked, including location, time taken, and speed, is transferred via the internet and will be displayed on your device via a web or a smartphone app.
The biggest advantage of this technology is that it aids in tracking your family’s, including kids, pets, teens, and senior citizens, location at all times. So investing in a reliable tracker is instrumental for your peace of mind. But you must be aware of different types of trackers to choose the one that best fits your requirements.
Types of GPS Tracking Devices
GPS tracking devices are multi-faceted. For example, when it comes to fleet management, it helps logistics organizations optimize delivery routes, reduce fuel consumption, and improve driver safety. It also aids researchers in monitoring animal migration patterns, providing a better knowledge of ecosystems and assisting in conservation efforts. GPS locators help search and rescue personnel during emergency responses, accelerating catastrophe help in remote or hazardous places.
Moreover, we use this tracking technology every day. A recent survey in the United States found an intriguing trend: 37% of people aged 18 to 29 are using GPS navigation on their smartphones!
Although the technology is the same for all these uses, the device, especially the hardware, varies. In this blog, we will look into some of the types of GPS trackers and which one you should opt for based on your needs.
Wearable GPS Trackers
Wearable GPS trackers are small, lightweight gadgets that can be readily worn by an individual or attached to clothing, personal items, or even animals. These types of devices are very convenient to use, especially for monitoring children, the elderly, pets, and others.
Features of wearable GPS trackers
- Real-time tracking: They provide real-time location updates so that parents and family members can track the whereabouts of their loved ones. It monitors the exact positions and provides updated information regularly to allow others to keep track of the location and movements of the device. This type of GPS tracker is most useful to identify and recover kids, elderly members, or pets if they move far away, get separated, or lost in a crowd.
- Geofencing: This feature enables the setting up of virtual boundaries around a zone and getting immediate alerts whenever the tracker crosses the predetermined limits. It is one of the most significant features of GPS trackers as it allows the user to define a safe zone for movements and get notified when the concerned person enters or leaves that area. This function of the GPS tracker helps you to keep your loved ones safe and secure by getting alerts and taking prompt actions as needed.
- SOS alerts: A lot of wearable GPS trackers have an emergency button that can be used to notify emergency services. The devices are user-friendly in the sense that anyone can be trained to use them for raising alerts by simply pushing the SOS button. There is also an option that the button in the device will generate a sound when pushed. It helps to identify the exact location of your child by detecting the source of that sound, especially in a crowded place or at social gatherings.
- Extended battery life: These GPS-based gadgets frequently have prolonged battery life to enable continuous tracking without a regular recharge. Advanced GPS trackers generally have a long-lasting battery life with a backup of several weeks. The battery-saving features also allow automatic standby mode when the device is not in use. It helps to preserve battery power for effective use over a more extended period.
Benefits of wearable GPS trackers
- These GPS trackers can be worn conveniently and offer assurance of not getting misplaced or misused, ensuring protection and safety.
- Real-time location information received from wearable GPS trackers helps in theft protection and avoiding the loss of expensive items.
Handheld GPS trackers
People with passions for adventurous trips, hikers, trekkers, and outdoor enthusiasts prefer handheld GPS tracking devices that are portable as well as robust gadgets. They are vital tools for exploring isolated locations, hiking routes, and navigating through unknown territory. These tools not only provide precise positioning and mapping capabilities but are also durable enough to withstand rough conditions and unusual environments.
Features of Handheld GPS Trackers
- Accurate positioning: No matter how challenging the surroundings, like thick forests or tight canyons, these trackers always know exactly where you are. You can trust them completely and avoid any confusion.
- Detailed topographic maps: Don’t worry about getting lost anymore. These trackers give you really detailed maps that are easy to understand. Even if you’re in a far-off spot with a weak signal, you can still find your way without any trouble. So, go ahead and enjoy your journey, knowing you’re on the right path.
- Routes and waypoints: Building waypoints and routes becomes easier by using handheld GPS trackers. It offers a practical way to mark important spots and plot out your entire journey, enabling you to always keep on track and explore new routes while enjoying the surroundings.
- Weather information ready for you: These trackers make you well-prepared for your journey as you have access to required weather information, such as forecasts, barometric pressure, and temperature at your fingertips. With the integrated weather function features you can stay updated on the elements and make suitable decisions regarding trip planning and your safety.
Benefits of Handheld GPS Tracker
- You can communicate their location with others using these gadgets, making it simpler to get assistance in an emergency.
- If you love to travel, then you can expand your outdoor experiences by using these reliable and efficient GPS trackers to explore new tracks and landscapes.
- These devices guide in accurate route mapping even in isolated or difficult navigation situations.
Recommendations and use cases
The Amcrest GPS Tracker is a popular choice among hikers and outdoor enthusiasts. With its compact design, motion, SOS alarm, weather resistance, preloaded topographic maps, and advanced navigation features, it is perfect for exploring new trails and navigating challenging terrains.
For marine enthusiasts, the LandAirSea 54 GPS Tracker offers waterproof construction, marine charts, navigation aids, Google Maps integration, immediate alerts, and notifications, ensuring safe and precise navigation on the water.
Vehicle GPS Trackers
Vehicle GPS trackers are designed for monitoring and tracking vehicles, ranging from cars, trucks, and motorcycles to fleet vehicles. These devices provide real-time location updates and vehicle diagnostics. It comes with anti-theft features, enhancing vehicle security and efficiency.
Features of vehicle GPS trackers
- Real-time tracking: Vehicle GPS trackers offer real-time location updates, enabling fleet managers or vehicle owners to monitor their vehicle’s movements.
- Geofencing and alerts: They allow the creation of virtual boundaries, triggering notifications when vehicles enter or exit designated areas.
- Driving behavior analysis: Some vehicle GPS trackers provide insights into driving behavior, including speeding and sudden braking, helping improve driver safety and fuel efficiency.
- Anti-theft features: Vehicle GPS trackers often come with anti-theft features such as remote engine immobilization, enabling vehicle owners to disable the engine in case of theft.
Benefits of vehicle GPS trackers
- Vehicle GPS trackers act as deterrents against theft and increase the chances of recovery if a vehicle is stolen.
- These trackers help identify and correct unsafe driving habits, reducing accidents and improving the safety of the family.
- They provide the vehicle’s exact location at any given point in time, alleviating concerns. For instance, you can use your GPS tracker to determine the location of your car if it has been towed from the parking site.
Recommendations and use cases
Family1st GPS tracker is a versatile personal GPS tracker designed to cater to the needs of families and individuals alike. With its comprehensive set of features, it offers peace of mind and enhanced security in various situations.
Whether you’re concerned about the safety of your loved ones, want to keep track of your valuable belongings, or simply desire a reliable navigation companion, Family1st GPS tracker has got you covered. Its compact size and lightweight design make it easy to carry and discreetly use.
The tracker provides real-time location updates, allowing you to monitor the whereabouts of your family members or important assets at any given moment. Additionally, it offers geofencing capabilities, enabling you to set virtual boundaries and receive instant notifications when someone or something crosses them.
With its versatile functionality and user-friendly interface, the Family1st GPS tracker is the perfect companion for families and individuals seeking peace of mind and a heightened sense of security in their daily lives.
For individual vehicle owners concerned about theft, the Vyncs GPS Tracker offers real-time tracking, which includes a 3-minute refresh, with upgrade options for fifteen- to thirty-second or one-minute intervals. It also rechecks the location every hour when the car is turned off, ensuring safety.
Now that you’re familiar with the different types of trackers and their benefits, how about we check out the factors to consider when choosing a GPS tracker to help you choose the best?
How to Choose the Right GPS Tracker for Your Loved Ones?
Several solutions are available in the market, making choosing the device that suits your needs vital. So to help you choose the best solution for your loved ones, below are some factors and tips to consider when choosing a GPS tracker for your loved ones.
Factors to consider when selecting a GPS tracker for personal use
To choose the best solution, it’s critical to comprehend the features and accuracy of a solution. Listed below are some features for you to consider to ensure the safety of your loved ones with personal GPS trackers:
- Frequency and accuracy of GPS location tracking
A GPS device is of no use if it’s inaccurate. When a device provides sporadic updates and does not continually watch over your loved one, the lack of updates results in delayed notifications. It will also make it difficult to pinpoint a place if it shows coordinates a few blocks from the actual location of your loved ones.
Since you’d be purchasing a device for the sole purpose of watching over your loved ones, picking one that provides accurate location tracking is non-negotiable.
For instance, if your loved one suffers from dementia, autism, or has other special needs, they must be watched over constantly throughout the day. Family1st’s portable GPS is the only GPS tracker and safety gadget with round-the-clock monitoring.
- Non-removable and sensory-friendly wearing options
This minor detail can easily be missed. But it has a significant impact. Your loved one won’t be protected if the device is simple to remove or lose. Additionally, the gadget must be easy to wear, especially for people with sensory issues.
- Safe ride surveillance
Safe ride surveillance is a functionality that most GPS trackers offer. Users can access real-time tracking, receive alerts for potential hazards, and request emergency assistance. Advanced features like predictive analytics analyze historical data to enhance safety. It enhances transportation security by providing valuable information and features to vehicle owners and passengers. However, to use this feature, you must manually activate it to avoid unnecessary battery usage.
While these are just the key features to help you select a reliable solution, you might still consider both – passive and active tracking systems. Here are some tips to assist you in evaluating the various options available and selecting the one that meets your needs.
Tips for evaluating different GPS tracking device options
Here are some suggestions to assist you in selecting an appropriate tracking gadget for your loved ones.
- Passive tracking system vs real-time tracking
All GPS data with a passive tracking system is kept in the receiver device, and only when the device is within reach can you download it to a local server. Though the passive system gathers data every 30 seconds, it needs a substantial amount of RAM to store it.
Whereas active or real-time tracking uses a cellular or satellite modem. The tracker regularly updates the data on the server based on its predetermined frequency, which can range from 15 seconds to once per day, depending on the arrangement. This ensures that you do not lose crucial tracking data.
A common misperception is that passive tracking solutions are more cost-effective than real-time ones. The active systems are believed to be more expensive because of the monthly cellular rates involved. But that is in no way accurate. With the cost of wireless technology decreasing, active systems have become more affordable than passive ones.
However, the best course of action is to pick the solution that best meets your needs. Importantly, the presence or absence of numerous features, like fuel and impact sensors, might impact the price tags.
- Approaches for effective dispatching in real-time
When it comes to efficiently tracking cars and their whereabouts on a map during the dispatching process, real-time tracking works best. The prompt accessibility of information lets you keep a watch on your loved ones’ vehicles throughout the day and enables you to act quickly in an emergency.
- Effortless installation and upkeep
A tracking device might be challenging to install and maintain. Even if you have a professional with the necessary skill set, you will have to pay them, making the cost of GPS higher. Pick a GPS that is simple to install and maintain – a portable one for people or an OBD for your car. Choose the option that best fits your needs.
- Voice instructions
When you are driving, it can be challenging to verify the inputs using visual position maps. Therefore, choose a cloud-based GPS alternative that offers analytics and voice instructions.
To ensure that you truly benefit from your choice of a tracking device with GPS for managing fleet operations, ensure it has all of the characteristics we discussed to ascertain the safety and security of your family.
Ensuring Safety and Security
Personal security is a top concern for people in the modern world. Understandably, people are turning to GPS technology to improve their protection in light of the growth in crime rates and risks to personal safety.
But how do GPS tracking devices enhance the safety and security of family members? Let’s find out.
- Ideal for teenagers
Teenage can be confusing for kids and parents. Kids are all grown up. ‘I know best’ is their go-to mantra at this stage, making it difficult for you to fight against hormonal changes, physical development, and emotional growth to still keep an eye on them to ensure their safety.
A GPS-tracking device might be the answer to all your worries. It would monitor them, and you would constantly get real-time updates on their location.
- Senior citizens
Most senior adults suffer from one or more illnesses. If they are diagnosed with Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, dementia, high blood pressure, heart issues, and other conditions, families must pay extra attention to their welfare and security. A GPS tracker for the elderly can be the second set of eyes to keep tabs on them and ensure they are safe.
Make the pet GPS tracker a vital part of your life if you have a pet at home and want to ensure its security. Pets can slip through nooks and crannies to wander in your lane or simply hunker down for a dreamless sleep in your attic while you frantically search for them.
So adding a GPS tracker to their neckband will ensure their safety since you’ll always know where your pet is.
While such solutions promote the safety and security of your loved ones, they might also breach some privacy boundaries.
Privacy concerns related to GPS tracking devices
The location-tracking capabilities of modern smartphones sometimes involve the use of GPS tracking. Apps can ask you for this data and use it to offer location-based services like maps that display your location.
It aids commercial entities to easily track someone’s activities and utilize this knowledge to collect data on their travel along with purchasing habits and approach them with advertisements based on their position.
When GPS is integrated with other technologies like the Internet, it becomes difficult for you to opt out of such intrusive programs. Some apps may even transmit your location to a network service provider, enabling the app and any third-party vendors free access and share your sensitive information, jeopardizing your security.
So the question arises: how can you safeguard yourself and your loved ones against the privacy concerns related to GPS? You can use the pointers below if you don’t want anyone or anything tracking your whereabouts.
- Switch off GPS and location-based services when you reach home or intend to stay somewhere for a long time.
- You can also decide which applications and apps are permitted to use these services.
- Make use of a VPN that encodes all data transfer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the different types of GPS tracking devices available for families?
The various GPS tracking devices available for families include wearable, handheld, and vehicle tracking devices. Each class offers specific features and functionalities to cater to different needs.
How do GPS tracking devices ensure the safety of kids, pets, and seniors?
GPS tracking devices work by utilizing global positioning satellites to determine the exact location of the tracker. They transmit this location information to a receiver, such as a smartphone or a computer, allowing users to track the movements of their loved ones in real-time.
What features should I look for when choosing a personal GPS tracker?
When choosing a personal GPS tracker, consider features such as real-time tracking, geofencing capabilities, long battery life, durability, and user-friendly interfaces. Select a device that aligns with your specific requirements and provides reliable performance.
Can GPS tracking devices be used to track multiple individuals simultaneously?
Yes, there are GPS tracking devices that can track multiple individuals simultaneously. These devices often come with advanced tracking software or mobile apps that allow users to monitor the location of various trackers from a single interface, making it convenient for families with multiple members.
Are there any privacy concerns associated with using GPS-tracking devices for personal use?
While GPS tracking devices can enhance safety and security, privacy concerns may arise. Choose a reputable provider that ensures data protection and respects privacy rights. It’s also important to communicate openly and obtain consent, especially in cases involving minors or seniors in the family.
GPS tracking devices have transformed how we navigate and maintain tabs on our loved ones to enhance security. This technology and its associated devices offer a range of features and benefits to meet diverse user needs.
But it is essential to consider the different types of devices, their features, installation process, and legal considerations to make an informed decision. With a suitable tracking device, you can sit back, relax, and not constantly worry about your loved ones’ safety.
Carson Rogers is a technology writer and reviewer. With over 5 years of experience in the industry, he has established himself as an expert in the technology niche. His passion for all things tech and his keen eye for detail enable him to provide thorough and insightful product reviews that help readers make informed decisions. Carson enjoys hiking in his free time when he's not busy reviewing the latest gadgets. His love for the outdoors also inspires him to write about tech gadgets that are useful and make life convenient.